Over the past year, incidents of discrimination, harassment, racism, and violence against members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community have increased. The senseless killing of eight people last week in Atlanta, six of whom were Asian women, was the most recent and horrific of these acts. All of these incidents have taken a personal and emotional toll on our AAPI members and community. Impact100 Philadelphia, along with our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee, stands with our AAPI members and community in condemning racially-motivated violence and hatred.
We have added the following Anti-Asian Hate resources to our website’s DEI Resource Guide, and offer these suggestions for immediate use:
For those interested in further information on the history of Asian American identity in the United States and the racial justice issues underlying these current events, we recommend the PBS docuseries Asian Americans.
Donate to trusted AAPI organizations working to rectify the racial inequalities in our society. Visit:
Stop AAPI Hate has reported 3,795 anti-Asian attacks since Feb. 28, 2021. Their website makes it simple to use your voice and report a hate incident. Visit: Stop AAPI Hate.
Self Evident is a podcast that challenges the narratives of Asian Americans by telling their stories. Visit: Self Evident podcast.
Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning by Cathy Park Hong is a highly-acclaimed collection of essays that uses Hong’s own story as the daughter of Korean immigrants to examine racialized consciousness in America. Visit: Cathy Park Hong’s website.
- Unlearn ideas like the “model minority” myth, recognizing that the Asian-American identity is not a monolith.
- Understand the history of anti-Asian discrimination in the United States.
- Engage in discussion. Talk to a friend or family member about anti-Asian discrimination and how it is a shared issue that we must confront.
- Read articles about how this tragedy is impacting our Asian-American communities here in Philadelphia.
- Make plans to attend screenings at the 2021 Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival (coming in November) to educate yourself about perspectives and stories from the Asian American community.
As an organization, Impact100 Philadelphia is committed to educating ourselves and each other, and stand in solidarity in helping to drive change. Impact100 Philadelphia will continue to support the path to healing for the AAPI community and other marginalized groups who continue to experience targeted and heinous acts of violence.